Hey fellow TV junkies! Get out your calendar and warm up the Tivo, because we have a whole bunch of TV premieres coming our way! Some brand new series (Glee!) and some returning favorites (The Office!)…here is the list of shows I’ll be watching (in premiere date order):
Tuesday, September 8:
- Sons of Anarchy on FX @ 10 PM (Season 2 Premiere)…Riveting, with full-throttle drama, this series about a biker gang/family hierarchy in Central California is top notch. The acting is superb and the writing is truly compelling and original.
Wednesday, September 9:
- Glee on Fox @ 9 PM (Series Premiere)…After the sneak-peek premiere earlier this year (and online), we haven’t stopped believing that this high school dramedy is going to be a big hit. And with one of the show’s creators coming from “Nip/Tuck” and “Popular” it is sure to be irreverent and whip-smart.
Thursday, September 10:
- The Vampire Diaries on CW @ 8 PM (Series Premiere)…I pretty much know nothing about this series except that the promos are dark and sexy and make me want to check it out. And vampires seem to be all the rage these days.
Tuesday, September 14:
- Gossip Girl on CW @ 9 PM (Season 3 Premiere)…We were assured during last season’s finale that gossip girl will follow everyone to college, so that’s a relief! All I really care about is seeing more of that damn Mother Chucker.
Thursday, September 17:
- Fringe on Fox @ 9 PM (Season 2 Premiere)…Ok, so I must confess when this show first came out I hated it. But then I kept watching, and now I’m hooked. It’s a great sci-fi series, and just when things get too serious, too out there, they throw in a comedic line.
- The Office on NBC @ 9 PM (Season 6 Premiere)…I think we are supposed to see Pam and Jim finally tie the knot, right? Of course, they will drag it out until the season finale, but I’m sure hilarity will ensue in the meantime.
- Community on NBC @ 9:30 PM (Series Premiere)…This show could really suck or be really good, an ensemble comedy taking place in a community college. Why am I tuning in? For more doses of Joel McHale!
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX @ 10 PM (Season 5 Premiere)…This show started out so strong, and had a couple of great seasons/outstanding episodes. I think it’s time they wrap it up or introduce a brand new plot point or character arc. I will of course still watch because they always end up doing something zany and out of control.
Wednesday, September 23:
- Cougar Town on ABC @ 9:30 PM (Series Premiere)…When this show was in development and then was picked up I laughed at how ridiculous it sounded. But then, after catching some of the promos it looks hilarious! Courtney Cox Arquette as a recently divorced hottie looking to have some fun–yes, please, take us to Cougar Town!
October…two premieres to point out:
- 30 Rock on NBC, the 15th @ 9:30 PM (Season 4 Premiere)…who knows what the hell will happen this season, whatever Tina Fey’s genius brain wants. As long as Jack, Tracy, and Kenneth keep coming back then I’m in. If not? Then that’s a dealbreaker, ladies!
- Southland on NBC, the 23rd @ 9 PM (Season 2 Premiere)…this show goes beyond the typical cop show, it’s unflinching and the characters have so much depth. It stars Ryan from the “O.C.” and Regina King, who really deserves an Emmy nom for this role.
Other shows I care about…but won’t premiere until early 2010 (so I’ll cover later this year):
Shall we have a nice little TV round-up before we all head off to our Independence weekend festivities?? Oh, let’s!…
- F/X returning series: two of the best series on television happen to be on the same network (now how the hell did that happen?). Sons of Anarchy will be back September 8 and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia will return for it’s FIFTH season September 17.
- Chris Kattan, Patricia Heaton and Janitor from Scrubs all hope to make some money: they will be starring in a new ABC series called The Middle. Heaton and Janitor (no, I’m not being vague just for the sake of being vague, that is what they really called him the show) play a married couple and Kattan is Heaton’s co-worker at a car dealership. Sounds riveting.
- Cause what Gossip Girl needs is more celebrity guest stars: Hilary Duff will be joining the cast of the WB’s saucy series next season where she will play a famous movie star just wanting to be like everybody else on GG and go to NYU. Coincidence? I think not.
- Bridezillas, 24 hours a day: the kids over at Rainbow Media/WE decided that a few hours of their airtime is just not enough to dedicate to the out-of-control bridal industry. So they have decided to create a FULL-TIME bridal channel. I’m not sure how I feel about this yet because I tend to be one of those channel flippers that gets her flipper stuck on said bridal crap.
Ok that’s all I got for now…have a nice weekend everybody!